DIY Magnetic Boards

Magnet-Boards_before

I’m a creative person, so when I see an image that appeals to me for a project I’m working on, I like to post it on a wall so that I can see it regularly.  When my office walls started to look like this, I knew I had to do something about it.

I created magnetic boards to cover all the walls above our desks in the office.  I chose to do magnetic boards instead of cork boards because I liked all the different creative options for magnets.  Also, they don’t show holes over time.

Here’s what I used:

Magnet-Boards_materials

The metal was a sheet of 16″ x 36″ joist lining from Home Depot.  I checked at the store that it was magnetic before I purchased it.  This metal was perfect for my needs because it was big enough to fit my space (although I did trim it down in length) and it was easy to cut with the wire cutters (also used in the Ikea Floor Lamp project).  I had to use three different materials to cover the sheets because I didn’t have enough material of one style to do all the boards.  I rather liked the combination of patterns and colors.

Magnet-Boards_measure

This is a really simple DIY project.  Just measure the boards to the size you need.  Cut and then cover.  My materials consisted of fabric, paper, and adhesive vinyl.  I used adhesive spray to cover the fabric and paper, then used masking tape on the backs of the boards to ensure the fabric and paper would stay.

Magnet-Boards_corners

How to do corners… the photos are self-explanatory, I hope.

The magnetic boards were affixed to the walls with double sided foam tape.  And now I have beautifully organized walls that can hold inspirational photos, receipts, pending disputes, and things not to forget.  Next step: clear off desk.  Ugh, neverending chore.

Magnet-Boards_final

Total time:  Each board took about half an hour.  The majority of the time was spent in cutting the metal.

Total cost:  As I ran out of spray adhesive, I had to buy a new can.  The paper and fabric materials were picked up from Urban Source.  The floral adhesive vinyl were leftover pieces from the year I lived abroad in Korea, so they didn’t cost anything.  The sheet metals were purchased from Home Depot for about $5.  The average total for each 16″ x 30″ board was about $8.  I made seven boards total.

Redesigned-Signature

Advertisements
Previous Post
Leave a comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Visit me at my new home!

  • Visit me at my new home!

%d bloggers like this: