There are a few things I like to keep in my kitchen for reasons outside of their intended purposes. I thought I’d share some of my favorites with you.
1. Toothpicks. These are great items to have around the kitchen, though I rarely use them for cleaning out the crevices between my teeth. (I find dental floss to be much more effective in that arena.)
- I like to have a few in my kitchen drawer for cleaning the tiny spaces between the range and the countertop.
- They help to keep plastic film from clinging to the frosting when wrapping up leftover birthday cakes.
- They’re also good to use as testers to check if my banana bread is finished baking.
- My husband also has this theory that any food item on a stick will market better. Think: corndogs, potatoes on a stick, etc. Sure enough, when we serve hors d’oeuvres at our house parties, the little tasties are an instant hit when I insert a toothpick in them!
2. Used aluminum foil. I don’t keep around ALL the used aluminum foil. You know how sometimes you tear off a piece to line a baking pan for oven-baked French fries or cookies and the foil still looks pretty shiny and clean when you take it out of the oven? Those are the ones I save. Typically, I fold them up in a neat square and store them in a drawer with my roll of good aluminum foil.
- I use a square when I need to discard cooking grease.
- The best tip is to ball up a piece of foil to scrub your glass bakeware. They really work in helping to get off all the baked-on food! Can’t take the credit for this tip, though. I learned it from Real Simple.
3. Sharpie and Scotch tape. As I try to reuse as many things as possible, I keep these two on hand to label my Zip-loc freezer bags. That way, I can wash out the bags and reuse them without making a mess of crossing off the names of previous contents. I just rip off a piece of tape, adhere it to the bag, and write on the tape. I remove the tape before washing. Good as new!
4. Paper bags. These are great to have on hand to help avocados ripen. That’s pretty much all I use them for, so I don’t keep many in my kitchen. I should build up a collection so I can use them for craft projects some day. Haha!
5. Dental floss. Same as how I don’t keep toothpicks to clean my teeth, I don’t keep dental floss in my kitchen for that reason either. They are handy to have when you need to slice some soft cheese or cut a cake. In a pinch, they’re wonderful to tie up a bouquet garni with… or to clean your teeth. Of course, I don’t keep the mint variety in my kitchen; only the plain ones without any flavor. Ew, imagine your cheese tasting minty! Blech.
There you have my list of things I keep in my kitchen for random reasons! What items do you keep in your kitchen that others might find weird?
Linking to: Embracing the Insanity