My husband was recently diagnosed with gluten and dairy allergies. Around the house here, we’ve had to rearrange some eating habits and get creative with our menus in order for my husband to enjoy his food. One thing he hasn’t been able to enjoy much is sweets of any kind, which is an immense disappointment for a guy who has such a huge sweet tooth. I sought to make some treats for him by varying this recipe I found on the back of Trader Joe’s Rolled Oats bag. My husband loved them so much that he practically ate the whole batch in one evening.
Makes approx. 36 cookies
1/4 cup coconut oil (to replace butter)
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 handfuls of dried cranberries
2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp of water (to replace 2 eggs)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, combine chia seeds with water and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar and coconut oil and beat until creamy.
4. Add chia seed mixture, vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
5. Stir in oats and cranberries.
6. Roll oat mixture into small mounds on a lightly greased cookie sheet and place about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly brown around the edges.
Hope you find them equally enjoyable! (If you don’t have a dairy allergy, feel free to substitute back in the butter and eggs I replaced.)
Twitter | bloglovin’ | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest